Thursday, March 19, 2009

Encounter: Knitting Mom Friend

Fiftieth post today! Hurray!

Yesterday, I met up with a mom friend of mine at the Mecca of Hip Moms, Whole Foods. Because Vee and I are nothing if not organically-MINDED and eager to spend our money on "XXXX-free" products to keep Kiddokabiddo from being overrun with random hormones, phlalates, etc., I bought her some special baby sunscreen.

And then couldn't resist getting a PAIR OF ROBEEZ!



80S ROLLER SKATING QUEEN!

Yep, I spent $28 on a pair of shoes for my 9.5 month old. But she's still in the 0-6 month size with LOTS OF TOE ROOM, so I am counting on shoes lasting this littlefoot a long time.

As I proudly showed my mom friend my new purchase, she mentioned, "Didn't babysteals have Robeez on sale today?"

I ALMOST SHOT MYSELF IN THE FACE.

See, I GO TO BABYSTEALS EVERY DAY. The one day I didn't go is THE ONE DAY THEY HAD THE SHOES I HAD PUT OFF BUYING FOR THEIR EXPENSE.

Naturally, they were all gone by the time I got home. And had already spent $28.

My mom friend has a daughter who is 4 days younger than Kiddo, and so we have a good time talking about our daughters' growth patterns and catching up on other mom info. She had knitted Kiddokabiddo a BEAUTIFUL sweater (pics later) and it made me realize that knitting is SO the new hip mom thing. WHICH I CANNOT DO.

I am so non-sewing-adept that when I need to fix a button on a shirt, I wait until we're going to see Vee's grandma (a sewing WIZARD!) and ask her to do it.

Is knitting in my future? It would be hella cheaper than buying millions of more pairs of longies for the Kiddo. Can anyone convince me this is possible?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

1st off, the shoes are FABULOUS - it doesn't matter what they cost, Kiddo is gonna rock em. 2nd, knitting is not in your future...I know a lot of knitters & I think it's really great, but it's not the hobby for me. And, thus, I'm inferring that it's not the hobby for you =)

E. Langley said...

i'm too afraid to ask someone to fix my buttons. i bucked up and read a guide on the internet and now i can button my heart out. those shitty american apparel cardigans are always falling apart at the wrists and buttons. made in the us? made by overpaid crackheads in the us. is it wrong to want to pay less for a higher quality good made by underpaid child laborers in SE asia?

Unknown said...

LOL, E-Diddy: overpaid crackheads

emcathow said...

The shoes rock. They are just the first of many pairs. Might as well start off with the best!