Wednesday, April 15, 2009

An Honorable Woman

My calves, thighs, butt, and feet have been aching since ~6pm yesterday, when Vee and I got back from my second walk of the day. I took Kiddo to the zoo (62 and sunny!) and hiking up and down those hills was ROUGH! I could feel my calves jeering at me, "Ohhhhh, so you decided TODAY you could WALK A LOT, huh? YOU CAN'T!" Luckily, I've got yoga tonight and I can beat my body up a little more to soften those muscles.

For those of you who know me in real life, I just became MATRON OF HONOR for My Best Friend, who got engaged last week. I've been excited about this for I-can't-even-tell-you-how-long; when we were angsty teenagers watching "A Wedding Story" on TLC for summers on end and convinced that we were too UGLY DUCKLING to ever get married, we bet each other $100 that the other one would get married first.

Coincidentally, I did happen to get married first, but it's no reflection on our teenage self-perceptions!

Anyway, My Best Friend was, naturally, my maid of honor, and did a FANTASTIC job planning and executing my bachelorette party in Nashville, flew up to northern MN for my bridal shower, handled the ordering of all the bridesmaid/flower girl dresses, and listened to me rampage about random wedding ephemera (which, looking back, was HILARIOUSLY not-important and totally bridezilla-y. Sorry, man!).

It didn't occur to me UNTIL AFTER I WAS MARRIED that, since she was MAID of honor in my wedding, that would mean I would have to be MATRON OF HONOR. MATRON! I am not old enough to be a matron. My substitute name for myself, "Honorable Woman," received an eyebrow raise from Vee. What, I'M NOT HONORABLE?

So my Honorable self hauled out ye olde wedding box with all our planning junk and leftover invitations and (humiliatingly) our final budget, and I got to work weeding through what I could pass on. And then a nagging suspicion occurred to me, and I fled back to my computer to check My Best Friend's Facebook update.

I BELIEVE SHE IS PLANNING TO BE MARRIED IN LAS VEGAS (no, not one of "those") AND I AM BASICALLY USELESS AT ANYTHING OTHER THAN A MIDWEST-STYLE WEDDING.

At least I can plan a killer bachelorette party!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That's rich! Well, I don't think Tony & I are going to have a wedding party...BUT, if you wanna throw your weight around our Midwest-style wedding PLEASE feel free to do so =)

Jackie said...

I'm on my way later today to Las Vegas to be the "Matron of Honor" (yuck) in my best friend's wedding! We are doing the bachelorette party there too, with a party bus and everything (so not my style). But, you gotta do what you gotta do! Good luck with yours!

Unknown said...

Jackie, what a coincidence. Mwom-lady, get stretchin'.

emcathow said...

Wha Whaaa...

At least I signed up for a theknot.com screen name.

!!!!

kristine said...

Grace--you KNOW I WILL!

Jackie--have fun at the bachelorette party/wedding and POST about it when you get back--I'm sure I will have tons of questions!

Emily--GET INVOLVED AND START POSTING BECAUSE YOU KNOW I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN!