Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Hope Begins Today

Ding, dong, the witch is dead! WHICH OLD WITCH? THE ONE WHO HAD A STRANGLEHOLD ON OUR COUNTRY FOR 8 YEARS!



The sense of RELEASE is incredible! NO MORE BEING FRONTED TO THE REST OF THE WORLD BY A MAN WHO MADE US ALL LOOK LIKE ASSHOLES AND FOOLS! No more snickery "we'll get 'em" warhawk failure!

And most importantly: FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY VOTING CAREER, WE ARE ABOUT TO BEGIN A GRAND NEW ERA OF DEMOCRATIC CONTROL, from the White House to Congress! I may live in a red state (a blue beacon in a red state, but a red state nonetheless), but our country is being run by MY PEOPLE AT LAST!


And yet. Vee has been harassing me for not being more excited about our new President. Every time another newspaper, or magazine, or radio show, etc. has done ANOTHER front story on OUR PRESIDENT-ELECT, BARACK OBAMA, I have gritted my teeth and taken a breath.

People: I AM AFRAID TO TRUST IN THE HOPE.

To understand that, I need to explain that, for the last 8 years, my candidates have all fallen by the wayside. In my voting career, 5 of the 6 candidates I have supported have lost, or dropped out. I lost with Gore in 2000, I lost with Edwards in the 04 primaries, then with Kerry in the 04 election, and I lost with Edwards AGAIN (MY HOPE WAS STILL ALIVE) in 08, then BITTERLY with Hillary in 08. Barack Obama is the first candidate I have voted for WHO HAS WON.

My adulthood has been spent under the thumb of victors I violently voted against. Even now, with a Democratic Congress and a Democratic president, I can't trust that what has come to pass will REALLY come to pass. 8 years spent in defeat, and now the beacon of a president I voted for, but who was my THIRD CHOICE this year.

The Bush Era has ended--a time that seemed like it would NEVER be over is FINALLY over--and the era of Democracy via Democrats has begun. Barack, I am hoping you can renew my belief that this is what I've been waiting for.

1 comment:

emcathow said...

I believed in John Edwards and LORD KNOWS he let me down!

I do believe in Barack Obama, even though I am told all the time that politicians are not people to ever trust and that I am naive for ever thinking I should. "He's just a politician. They'll say anything." Even still, I've got the Obama/Biden magnet on my front door and the hope of a new president in my heart. The way I see it it can't get worse than G-Dub. I like my president to be smarter than I am. Barack obviously is, so I trust him to do his job. Even if I don't get my taxes cut in the meantime. At least I know he's not spending my taxes to separate families for an unfounded war or spy on my Google searches. He has our best interest at heart and is the best person to do this job at this time, something I obviously couldn't say about the previous presidential election outcomes.

DON'T STOP BELIEVIN'
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world
She took the midnight train going anywhere
Just a city boy born and raised in South Detroit
He took the midnight train going anywhere

A singer in a smokey room the smell of wine and cheap perfume
For a smile they can share the night.
It goes on and on and on and on

Strangers waiting up down the boulevard.
Their shadows searchin in the night
Streetlight people living just to find emotion
Hiding somewhere in the night

Working hard to get my fill everybody wants a thrill
Payin anything to roll the dice. Just one more time.
Some will win some will lose some were born to sing the blues.
Oh the movie never ends. It goes on and on and on and on...

Don´t stop believing.
Hold on to the feeling.
Streetlight people